Thursday, January 3, 2008

Day 3

This is my second trip to the DR with Austin Stone and I am overwhelmingly blessed to be back in this beautiful country. On my first trip in March, I met a precious girl named Carolina who lived in the small Haitian village of Chichigua. Only 3 years old at the time, Carolina and her baby brother captured my heart. We spent a couple of days together and not once did she say a word to, or smile at any one of us in the group. She clung to her brother, out of what seemed to be fear and was reluctant to any form of touch. For several months I had Carolina’s picture on my computer, and prayed for her often.

Last night, I was catching up with my sweet friend, Kate, who is now a teacher here in the DR and when I asked about her kids, she mentioned one of her favorite preschoolers, a beautiful girl named Carolina. I was filled with joy when I learned that Carolina is enrolled in Makarios’ school and looked forward to visiting Chichigua today. As we pulled up in the vans, Kate turned to me and said “Are you ready for Carolina?” The minute we jumped out of the car a beaming girl in a bright blue shirt came running around the corner and dove into Kate’s arms. This was not the same Carolina I met 9 months ago.

I am so thankful for the way God’s love, through his hand and feet here on Earth, breaks down walls around our hearts, so that we may know Him.

Caroline Tigner

Today, I and three others played with some of the local children while the rest of the group was hard at work on the Makarios school house. We went to a nearby field and played a game of baseball, Dominican style of course. Tennis ball, foam bat, and pieces of trash used for bases, this was just another normal day in the children’s lives. After finishing the game, one of the boys invited us to his house. Like many of the sights seen thus far, I cannot even begin to explain what we found. A small ‘house’ made from tree limbs and scrap metal, Moses’ mother and younger sister invited us, along with about ten kids in. We gathered, or at least attempted to, in a room that was no larger than 10 feet by 6 feet.

The fact that she was so welcoming and accepting of complete strangers was amazing, but definitely just the beginning. She immediately began preparing a space for us and sent her son to buy a bottle of Coca-Cola and ice, both of which are luxuries here. While sipping my drink, I was overwhelmed by God’s love and his faithfulness. The night before, I had prayed that God reveal himself to me for I longed to know him more and fall completely in love with him. Needless to say, my prayer was answered. Moses’ mother gave of herself and what she had without a second thought and did so cheerfully. I witnessed her display of unconditional love and was completely captivated by God and infinite love for us.

God has opened my eyes on this trip to see that it is not where you are or what you have, it’s what you have in your heart. Jesus is in my heart, and to Him be the glory.

Lauren Hughey

P.S. That was the best Coke I have ever had, and wish each of you could have been there to see/feel the love!

1 comment:

-kesha said...

Hello!!

I'm Tepera's sister, Kesha, and i just want to let all of you know that I think that ya'll are amazing for the work that you guys are doing over there, ya'll are truly being a blessing. Tepera I am sooooo proud of you and i love you more than you'll ever know. Be safe, have fun, and remember that God is by your side in everything that you do! :) (e-mail me so I can have your e-mail adress)!! Keep up the good work! I love you, and all of you are constantly in my prayers!!