Friday, June 13, 2008

June Trip Update 8

It’s just before eight in the morning and most of the house is up and about, drinking coffee and enjoying time together on our last morning at the Makarios house. Just one of the simple things I will miss is sleeping with the windows open and waking up to glorious sunshine! For a moment there is that feeling of waking up in a strange place. Then I look outside at the mountains and remember I’m in the Dominican Republic and I am so thankful! Yesterday was our third and last day teaching at the school. One of my most precious memories is listening to the children singing outside on the porch before school begins. I love watching the little preschoolers as they crouch down to the ground singing, “Allelu Allelu Allelu Alleluia” and then pop up to their feet with arms raised and scream… “Gloria Dios!” It is crazy how quickly relationships have developed after only three days at the school. One little girl I had the joy of spending time with was precious five year old Lela. As our trip was coming to an end yesterday I started to wonder what else I could have done and if I had made the most of my time here in this country. But as I stood on the porch yesterday holding a sweet little Lela in my arms, I was filled with joy and peace. Lela rested her head on my shoulder, and at that moment I knew she felt loved. What a privilege I have been given to care for this beautiful child! Even if for just a few minutes, someone was paying attention only to her, and she could rest in my arms and allow herself to be loved.

As we leave for the beach this morning, I feel so blessed to have spent a week caring for this city alongside our team. I look forward to our time together today to rest and reflect on how we have been blessed this week. Part of me is sad to leave, but I am also so excited to return home to share more stories and live out the lessons the Lord has taught me during our time here in the Dominican Republic.

Elise Legate

No comments: